@Home to Pipeline Conversion (very) Unofficial FAQ
- I got a CD from Charter... What should I do with it?
I got an email from Charter telling me to download something and run it... What should I do with it?
Throw it away. Really. Do it now.
- I don't use my @Home.com email address... What should I do?
You don't have to do anything then, unless you want an email address on @charter.net
- I'm set up statically... What do I do?
Switch to DHCP, now. You'll need to have your DHCP client ID (Windows and Charter call this your "Computer Name")
where appropriate. It is called "DHCP Client ID" on Macs, "Computer Name" on Windows boxes, and follows the
"-h" flag on Unix boxes using dhcpcd. If you use pump, you are on your own...
- I still have a Com21 modem and I'm set up static, what the hell do I do?
You are screwed. I have no idea how this is going to work out for you; every time I ask, I get a different answer.
Make sure you have your DHCP client ID in place and when your connection goes down, try switching to DHCP. If that
doesn't work, call us.
- What's all this about user names and email addresses?
If you don't know, don't worry about it.
- Ok, I'm up using DHCP and I know that using my ISP's email address is gay... What do I do?
Nothing. You are fine. Don't call us. Don't open any mail or email from us.
- I can't get at any websites, are you having an outage?
Probably not. Reset your modem (unplug the power cord), reset your firewall/router (as needed), reboot your
computer, in that order. If that doesn't fix it, unhook your firewall/router (as needed) and disable any software
firewalls you may have and reset the modem again, then reboot. If that still doesn't work, call us.
- I'm a retard and I use my ISP's email servers... How do I set up my @charter.net address?
your incoming mail server is a POP3 server, it's name is: "pop.charter.net". the outgoing mail server name is
"smtp.charter.net". If you don't know your username and password, call 800-581-0081 and ask them. There is a
decent chance that "mail.charter.net" will work for either servername, too, and they may do IMAP, and possibly even
POP3 or IMAP over SSL, but I'm too lazy to check.
- Is my username and password on charter.net the same as on home.com?
The username is VERY likely to be the same, but the password was generated by a computer and is six letters of
gibberish. If you didn't get an email from us with your username and password in it, call us.
- I set up my charter.net address, but the server rejects my outgoing mail, why?
Our network admins are lazy and haven't added your IP block to the allowed list yet. They will soon...hopefully...
Until then, you can probably get away with using "mail", or "mail.rchstr1.mn.home.com"
- I actually use USENET, what news server do I use?
We've heard rumors that you can use "news.charter.net", but we are pretty lazy and I don't think any of us have
actually bothered to check it yet. Also, I've heard that the news server admins make the mail server admins look
like workaholics and are even further behind on adding allowed IPs...
- I'm a gimp and I have a gay-ass webpage I want you to host, how do I do it?
ftp it to webpages.charter.net, but you'll need a username and password, and you'll need to call 800-581-0081 to
set that up. it'll be accessable at webpages.charter.net/yourusername/
- I just spent $500 on business cards and advertising with my @Home email address on it, what do I do?
Call 800-581-0081 and bitch about it. Don't worry that they'll put their phone on mute and make fun of you while
you rant and rave about your stupid decision, we are professionals.
- Who the hell are you?
I work in the call center in Rochester. I dread going to work each day where I will find out what boneheaded
decisions have been made the night before, in what seems can only be a malicious attempt to break people's
computers and make my job harder. (Beta test? Is that when we ship the program to all our customers and rely on
the call center staff to fix it when it screws up an estimated 40% of all the computers it is run on?)
- How can I contact you?
Call 800-581-0081, press 2, then press 2 and pray you got one of us that didn't drool on himself while getting
dressed for work. Or, you can mail me directly
- You didn't answer my question...
Mail me. If it is stupid enough, I'll add it. And I'll mock you.
Note: If you don't live very close to Rochester, your mail server may be different from
"mail.rchstr1.mn.home.com". If you don't live in Minnesota, the number you need to call may be different.